9/09/2005

Work with Me, Man. Work with Me!

A few years ago I worked closely with a good guy, Mark. He was in his mid 40's, had a couple kids and had been married for about 15 years. He was going through a stressful time in his marriage. He was not where he wanted to be career wise, he wasnt bringing in the same income as her which was making all the monthly bills a bit overwhelming.
It was pretty much a daily occurance that you would hear a somewhat elevated and heated exchange between Mark and his wife over the phone. They would never be full out scream fests but you could tell things were not as smooth between them as a married couple would like. I always felt sympathetic to the situation. Mark was a great guy, I was sure his wife was very endearing and I knew that they were raising some great kids.
Well, one day Mark's wife walks into the office and is hanging around for a bit. I remember seeing her when she walked in and thinking to myself that this is a very attractive woman. This is before I realize she's Mark's wife. Before long I see her and Mark talking and I do figure it out. And as I walk past them Mark stops me and introduces me.
Now I'm not always a smartass, 89.5% of the time yes, but not always. This was one of that other 10.5% of the time. Perhaps my reputation preceedes me, I don't know. At any rate, I saw this as an opportunity to help old Mark and his better half have a nicer day together than it would have been otherwise.
Now it's about here that all you readers are thinking "Damn Brico, what did you do?" in your little belittling we-have-better-judgement-than-you voices.
Well I say to you all "Talk to the hand! You don't know me!"
THIS is what I do: As soon as Mark introduces me to his lovely wife I look at him and say (very politely and pleasantly mind you!) "You weren't kidding Mark, your wife is beautiful."
And I catch in my periferal vission a wonderful sweet smile begin to emerge from the corners of her lips as she turns her head slightly to look into the eyes of the father of her children.
This is the point where any man would have turned his head toward his wife and reply "Yes she certainly is."
Unless you're Mark that is. If you're Mark, apparently the protocol for such a situation is to jerk your head quickly to the friend (me) and reply without hesitation "I never said that."
And just like that the corners of her sweet smile vanished.
I tried man, I tried. You gotta work with me!

Labels:

Comments on "Work with Me, Man. Work with Me!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 7:15:00 AM) : 

Why do you keep giving me fodder for my theory? But that was very sweet of you.

 

Blogger jenbeauty said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 10:17:00 AM) : 

You=good friend/man
Mark=idiot husband

 

Blogger Leska McCall said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 10:42:00 AM) : 

What a nice guy....you I mean. I would be willing to bet ole Mark no longer has his lovely wife, no?

 

Blogger bricotrout said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 10:54:00 AM) : 

k,
theory? do tell

dale,
i think i will tell one of my smartass jokes on mark next just so you all dont get the wrong impression of me

jen,
you=astute observer

mmc,
mark moved on to a better paying job. he and his wife are doing better i think
we have laughed about that many times since together

 

Blogger jamwall said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 10:56:00 AM) : 

i was hoping mark would say something like "which wife?"

 

Blogger ... said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 11:49:00 AM) : 

hahaha.. and you know now mark thinks you are an ass for saying his wife was pretty....thanks, that story made my sick and crappy day!

 

Blogger *** said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 12:56:00 PM) : 

Mark isn't very bright. Boy did he miss an opportunity! Great job on your behalf for the effort.

 

Blogger Mara said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 12:59:00 PM) : 

Oh GOOD LOARD... can we all say DUH at once

::shakes her little head::

 

Blogger Mara said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 12:59:00 PM) : 

Oh GOOD LOARD... can we all say DUH at once

::shakes her little head::

 

Blogger jamwall said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 1:32:00 PM) : 

yeah, that's a major 'no-no' around the woman!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 5:10:00 PM) : 

Please tell me you slapped him in the back of the head and walked away.

 

Blogger bricotrout said ... (Friday, September 09, 2005 8:53:00 PM) : 

jam,
someone else at work made that comment a while ago. good job!

femi,
nah, he knows i meant well. he kicks himself repeatedly to this day

kristi,
thanks, i try

H2O pixie,
1...2...3... DUH!!!

1...2...3... Duh!!! (again) sure youre one to talk?

jam,
and what isnt?

jen,
lol go figure

rabbit,
he slapped himself plenty after this. he knows what he did

 

Blogger duff said ... (Saturday, September 10, 2005 5:01:00 AM) : 

what tipped him off to that? being told to sleep on the couch for the next month?

 

Blogger Amy said ... (Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:28:00 PM) : 

At least one of you is a gentleman.
Sheesh.

 

Blogger Amy said ... (Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:32:00 PM) : 

At least one of you is a gentleman.
Sheesh.

 

post a comment