9/13/2005

"Those aren't pillows!!" Steve Martin



It recently occured to me that I have been using the same 4 bed pillows for the last 8 years. It's not like they have made great advancements in the world of head cushions recently but is 8 years normal? Is there some kind of unspoken social standard as to how long a pillow should be employed before it has reached its limit and needs to be thrown out?

How long have YOU been using the same pillows?

Comments on ""Those aren't pillows!!" Steve Martin"

 

Blogger jamwall said ... (Monday, September 12, 2005 7:58:00 PM) : 

not sure, there's been a slight turnover with my pillow force the last year or so! maybe i'm a little trigger happy to let them go, but they sometimes don't meet my neck stability and overall bed equilibrium needs...there's gotta be equilibrium of pillows....theres gotta!!!!

 

Blogger jolie said ... (Monday, September 12, 2005 8:02:00 PM) : 

I'm working with four pillows right now.

Two of the have been with me since boarding school, easily. The other two have certainly been with me since my post-collegiate tenure in NYC. So at best, we're taking 7 years, at worst maybe 9-10 - perhaps more - years.

Creature of habit and all....

 

Blogger duff said ... (Monday, September 12, 2005 8:21:00 PM) : 

wait a minute- you'rwe supposed to throw them out? i thought when they got flat, one was supposed to stuff two flat ones into the same pillowcase and buy one new pillow to fill the second pillowcase.

hmmm.....

 

Blogger Mara said ... (Monday, September 12, 2005 9:49:00 PM) : 

Definitly change the pillows... ucka... you get little critters in them.

Oh... and check out the new profile pic - as you wish sir :P

 

Blogger jamwall said ... (Monday, September 12, 2005 11:04:00 PM) : 

DUST MITES??????

*vomit*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, September 13, 2005 2:37:00 AM) : 

B~ Throw them out and go buy new ones, like now. ~K

And didn't we talk about staying up late? ;)

 

Blogger BUMBLE!!! said ... (Tuesday, September 13, 2005 5:47:00 AM) : 

I had mine for awhile until last summer when I replaced them out with new stuff for the bed. However, those pillows that weren't totally dead found their way to my sofa for when I'm exhausted after work and need to collapse for nap time. Why feed the Oscars and Trash dumps of the world... there has to be a use for them somewhere?!! However, the bed should have relatively newer pillows... so get new ones for that at least.

 

Blogger Webmiztris said ... (Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:27:00 AM) : 

hey, unless they're getting yellow and gross, I say they're fine.

I've had mine for about 5 years.

 

Blogger ... said ... (Tuesday, September 13, 2005 8:22:00 AM) : 

I've had two of mine for a few years, and the other two for way too long i'm sure...plus I have a closet full of old ones for those times when you just need a lot of pillows. Oh god, I'm a pillow Hoarder!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Tuesday, September 13, 2005 3:44:00 PM) : 

Great question. I never thought about it before I got married, and I guess that means that I never really bought new ones as a single guy. So, let's just say somewhere between 5-10 yrs or so.

Now that I have a beautiful wife, we change them every year or so, with lots of cleaning per pillow set.

Don't get me started on the throw pillows on the couch that I am not allowed to let touch my body. I don't understand that one at all.

/Linking you now, too. Great blog.

 

Blogger bricotrout said ... (Tuesday, September 13, 2005 4:25:00 PM) : 

jam,
gotta!!

jolie,
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix your profile so that when i click on your name it goes to your page. right now i cant access it. or at least leave your site url in a comment. thanks

jenny,
let me know before you decide to stay over and ill change them out for you

duff,
good conservation idea!!
look who i added as a link!

H20pixie,
but each of those critters is loved and has a name!

jag,
and i linked you!

jam,
theyre good with butter

k,
yes ma'am. we did, but the game was GOOD!

dan,
oh, the ones i have on the sofa are at least 20 years old!!
you were linked

webmiz,
im with you on that!

femi-mom,
i bet your a sheet hoarder too!!
you were linked

jenny,
toothbrush???

shhh,
thanks for the link. ill get you next time i go into template. and if you have a beautiful wife, let me remind her about HNT at osbasso.blogspot.com

 

Blogger jamwall said ... (Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:07:00 PM) : 

sorry i was so slow with the steve martin quote, but here goes:

"whoa!....whoa!!..hey, did ya catch that bears game?....ooooh yeah...."

 

Blogger Stella said ... (Tuesday, September 13, 2005 11:35:00 PM) : 

Forget the dust mites...aren't the pillows totally flat?

 

Blogger Belly said ... (Wednesday, September 14, 2005 12:43:00 AM) : 

I am very concerned at how long people are keeping their pillows. Perhaps I am just dust-mite-o-phobic but I routinely put mine through a hot hot dryer to kill the little critters off. *sigh* now my secret is out. I have a pillow disorder.

 

Blogger jkirlin said ... (Friday, September 16, 2005 7:44:00 PM) : 

When pillows are that old, you can call them by their real name: The Bags of Drool and Dust Mites You Put Your Head On For A Third of Your Life.

Go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond NOW!

 

post a comment