9/11/2005


I woke up that morning and turned on CNN as was my daily routine. Not but a few minutes later did they cut to a live feed of 'breaking coverage' in New York. There was a huge tear in one of the WTC towers with a moderate amount of smoke emerging from the gash. Initial reports were that a plane had crashed into it but no reporter could yet verify what kind or size of plane it may have been. I had remembered seeing footage of when a twin prop plane had crashed into The Empire State Building in the fog when it was being built.
I thought that this plane crash was going to be at least as historical as that so I threw a tape into the VCR. I was confused that the reporters couldn't figure out that it was certainly a large jet by the width of the scar in the building (they were still tossing up the theory that it was a leer jet) . And I remember thinking "Hmmm, no fog this time though. How does an accident like that happen?"
Shortly later a CNN affiliate was reporting from a top floor in a nearby building when I heard him pause and stutter from his reporting like he was distracted. He was watching the second plane approach.
And I watched it live. I stood there. No emotion. No surprise. No fear. No anger. Just watching that giant fireball fill the screen.

I eventually went to work (about three hours late I think). The phones didn't ring. The door didn't open. Hours passed. After work I went straight to the disc golf course. I joined two other golfers who were just teeing off. We shared introductions and pleasantries albeit somber ones. NOT ONE WORD of the days events was spoken by any of us. In fact conversation in general was kept fairly minimal. At one point a military helicopter flew slowly overhead. It was interesting how deafening its sound was. We paid it little attention. It eventually continued on and we did too. Onto the back nine.

Comments on ""

 

Blogger jamwall said ... (Sunday, September 11, 2005 12:06:00 AM) : 

i was unemployed at the time, very normal clear morning. i reached for the remote, flipped on the TV and saw two huge gashes in both buildings and some caption about plane or planes hitting the tower. i automatically thought it was an accident and that a plane crashed into one tower and the remains flew into the other building (naturally because one gash was high and the other one was low--seemed to make sense).

that is, until they showed a replay of the 2nd plane. then suddenly, they got the pentagon. i also live about 5 minutes from the mpls/st. paul international airport. i can see planes departing, arriving from my window (i don't get all the noise fortunately).

well, the sky was completely empty for a few days, except the occasional military cargo plane or fighter plane. the next night i was hoping that this was a bizarre nightmare.

wierd crazy stuff!

 

Blogger •♥•m•♥• said ... (Sunday, September 11, 2005 12:19:00 AM) : 

I've added my experience to my page.....such a sad and surreal time............M

 

Blogger Spinning Girl said ... (Sunday, September 11, 2005 8:46:00 AM) : 

Goosebumps.

Everybody has their own story of how they experienced that day.

I still can't look at the images without feeling it all over again.

I was teaching school and we weren't allowed to talk about it with our classes; we didn't know who might have parents that worked in NYC, living as close as we do.

Some of those kids went home to empty houses.

I still can't fathom it, four years later.

 

Blogger WendyLove said ... (Sunday, September 11, 2005 5:30:00 PM) : 

thank you for sharing your personal experience of that day. and thanks for the photos, which shows some brightness on this day to remember.

rubyprincess

 

Blogger 4evergapeach said ... (Sunday, September 11, 2005 5:42:00 PM) : 

I just had to come over and thank you for answering my question. That was sweet of you to not leave me out.

I was teaching that tragic day. My classroom has an office and someone had called to say what was happening. I turned on the t.v. and watched the 2nd tower fall. My first thought was of my brother who lives and works in NYC. He was fine, thank God!

I will be back to visit again.

 

Blogger 4evergapeach said ... (Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:03:00 PM) : 

and oh...btw....your daughter is an absolute doll!! She is going to be a knockout in a few years and boy will you have your hands full! I have a 15 yr old with a drop dead figure and LONG blond hair. I"m about to lock her up and throw away the key!! LOL goodluck!

 

Blogger BUMBLE!!! said ... (Sunday, September 11, 2005 9:20:00 PM) : 

The great thing about the blogosphere, esp. the blogging world of Blogger brought together (1 state under Obasso's HNT dream) is that we can all jump from place to place and find some bond and then different bonds and share our geekiness, interests, hobbies and ideas (some or all) with 1 another and get out things in a much better way than that old 80's staple: the fanzine (or in my case, the monthly what I'm up to letter to all my friends as I was in England and they had moved back to the states or were always there).

In answer to your comments...
1) I don't diss Uncle Tupelo at all (love 'em in fact: esp. Anodyne and Still Feel Gone... in fact, when I drove into the Toiyabe Mts. of Nevada in 1998 and had my revelation / satori (not trying to get on a bandwagon to your site's name - I've referred to it as that since 1998 and I've spent a lot of time and miles trying to find that feeling again) to get into education that was what was playing on my stereo. I choose Trace and Summerteeth over them simply because they were the 2 performers evolved out to their finest. Tweedy has lost much on A Ghost is Born, but I still love the vast majority of stuff prior to that. Farrar is incredible. I could listen to him all day and not grow weary of his songs.)

the revelation of getting into education was done while driving hell bent and determined to see Mcgwire play in that summer of 98. He hit #55 when I got there. It was the greatest moment of my life and still is since it was the culmination of a 9700 mile road trip, a summer and a collective feeling that is America. Bonds is the evil opposite of that. There never was a feeling with him. Sadly too, even if Sosa came back, that feeling would be gone (as it would for Mark as well... though I still believe). Someday, we'll be feeling this horror all over again with A-Rod. Hopefully, Griffey gets healthy and we can at least give it to someone (temporarily) who at least played the game for the game's sake.

It's amazing how something as simple as a game of disc golf can take your mind away from things so temporarily. It's almost surreal and beautiful to find those moments of peace... then again you are the satori guy!

 

Blogger Chris said ... (Monday, September 12, 2005 3:05:00 PM) : 

Strangest part about that day for me (outside of the obvious) was having had enough of the news (after 5 straight hours from the very first reports). I had decided that I needed a drink desperately. With all the news coverage from NYC and Washington, little was being said about my hometown of Philly. However, living downtown here, I was unaware that the entire city had been "shut down" and people were told to leave work and leave the city if you didn't live in it. At one o'clock in the afternoon it was bumper-to-bumper traffic on every street, as far as the eye can see....and yet, there was complete silence. no voices, no honking, nothing except the all news radio station drifting out of the open windows of every car i passed.

 

Blogger jolie said ... (Monday, September 12, 2005 3:42:00 PM) : 

Thank you for sharing that, Brico.

This year I tried for the first time to write my story. This is as far as I got:
September 11, 2001: my story
I’ve struggled for a long time with my experience.


I guess 4 years isn't enough time for me, though there has been progress.

I didn't cry this year on September 11. I didn't have a panic attack. I didn't sit, numb, in front of my TV remembering how it felt to sit, numb, on the rooftop of my friend's apartment building watching The Towers smolder and the fighter planes zip by overhead. I no longer flinch when I hear sirens.

They say it takes 3-5 years to recover from the initial shock of tragedy. My goal now is to spend the next year working on my story, so that I can post it on the 5th anniversary of that terrible, terrible day.

 

post a comment