8/04/2005

Just a Coincidence

Due to a blogger that I recently discovered I was reminded by this coincidence that happened some 15 years ago...
In college I had a good friend, Kalani Larsen. She moved up to San Francisco sophomore year. I missed her. She was a very cool chick.
After senior year I found myself in San Francisco and took a chance. I picked up a phone and called 411. I inquired if there was a Kalani Larsen registered. No, but there was a K. Larsen with a listed number. "Okay, I'll try that one then."
moments later: RING
"Hello?"
"Hi, is Kalani there?"
slight pause and a hint of awkward stammering and confusion "Um, yeah... hold on"
a slightly puzzled Kalani "Hello?"
"Kalani?"
"Yes. Who's this?"
"It's Brico, from Redlands. How are you?"
Long pause. One can sense there is confusion and bewilderment on her end of the line "I'm uh good. How... how are you?"
"Im good. Say, I'm in your neck of the woods this weekend and was hoping we..."
"I'm sorry man... How did you find me here?"
"Excuse me?"
"How... Where did you get this number?"
Now I'm confused "How did I find your number? I called information. You're listed under K. Larsen. What are you talking about?"
"What?" says a slow Kalani
Now I'm really confused. Not exactly the reception I was expecting. I spell it out for her "I called 411 and asked for a listing for Kalani Larsen. They didn't have one, but they did have a listing for a K. Larsen. So I called it. So here we are talking. Kind of the way it works, no?"
"Uh... no. Hold on." She speaks to the person who answered the phone "Kristen, what's your last name?" I hear faintly in the background "Larsen"
"OH MY GOD!" she screams into the receiver.
Now I'm beginning to understand myself.
The number I called, the number listed under K. Larsen, was not Kalani's number at all! By some bizarre coincidence, the odds of which I couldn't begin to calculate, Kalani happened to be at this residence of Kristen Larsen (a friend of a friend) for only a few minutes for that very first time.
I happened to call that number at that moment on that day. Any other day and Kristen would have said "Sorry bud, wrong number"
Kalani and I did get together for a bite the next evening, but the coincidence overshadowed the evening. I failed in convincing her that it was a sign we were supposed to hook up.
Like I said, she was a cool chick.

Labels:

Comments on "Just a Coincidence"

 

Blogger jamwall said ... (Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:25:00 AM) : 

i think it has something to do with that 10th planet they're talking about.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:46:00 AM) : 

I have chicken skin over my whole body. FREAK-A! But very cool none the less.

 

post a comment