12/31/2004

Psychedlic Furrs / Mary's Danish / Agent Orange

Fri May 6,1990 Redlands, CA
Another show at my Alma Mater that I was a stage hand for. If you dont remember, The Furrs had their brief stint of radio play with the title track to John Hugh's film Pretty in Pink. I was never into these guys but as you now know, I WAS into M.D. and loved Agent Orange.
? tour

Comments on "Psychedlic Furrs / Mary's Danish / Agent Orange"

 

Blogger bafreeman said ... (Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:18:00 PM) : 

M.D. stole the show. The Furs were awful--their lead singer is a little guy, and he played little. They were screwed by having two much more progressive opening acts. But they did suck.

Didn't The Replacements play the Greek later that year? And it was a horrible show because Westerberg was hammered?

 

Blogger bricotrout said ... (Friday, September 13, 2013 4:32:00 AM) : 

@barfreeman:
http://satoridesigns.blogspot.com/2004/12/replacements.html
You can also see my concert tix page via the link on the left side of the page. you appear to be a fellow Bulldog. Ochtamle!
Out of curiosity, how would have happened to find this page?

 

Blogger bafreeman said ... (Friday, September 13, 2013 6:51:00 AM) : 

Believe it or not it started with a texting convo with my son, who's a crazy good musician, about System of a Down, and how unlikely it is that they get any radio play. My son's theory was that it's because of the vocal harmonies between the singer and guitarist (he believes harmonies are like crack for listeners). This led to discussion about how harmonies could explain Alice in Chains huge success despite the fact that they rarely toured, and ultimately to M.D. which remains one of the best live acts I've ever seen (and I owned a music venue for a couple of years). Gretchen and Julie's harmonizing (and energy) made for an amazing show. And then I started digging--I was 90% sure they opened for the Furs, but in the back of my head was a voice saying the Replacements also played the Greek. Eventually I ended up here.
Social Distortion also played the commons that year. And Jerry Seinfeld played the chapel (as did Don McLean--and I think Foghat played that year too). Who was doing the booking that year?!? And what must the budget have been?

 

Blogger bafreeman said ... (Friday, September 13, 2013 11:06:00 PM) : 

And thanks for the link to the Replacements ticket. They were awful that night, but they matter.

 

post a comment